Friday, October 9, 2009

The Game of the Ages...

It is Friday and my voice is just getting back to normal. That was, without question, one of the best baseball games I have ever watched (and I was only able to watch the last 4 innings on TV).

I missed seeing the Magglio home run in the 8th, but I was yelling and screaming in the car as Dan and Jim called the play. I missed seeing Rick Porcello strike out 8 men in under 7 innings, but thanks to Mike's text updates I knew he was doing it. My response was- "Kid Rick thinks he is JV jr!" and the now traditional "KKKKKKKK!"

By the time I got home it was the Twins' half of the 8th and Lyon was doing his thing. When Minnesota brought in Joe Nathan in the 8th and sent him out in the 9th I really thought we had it. For crying out loud, when the bases were loaded and Brandon Inge got hit by the pitch I thought we had it (wow did the ump blow that call)! For what it's worth, I really though Granderson was safe when he was doubled off 1st base on Magglio's bullet to short.

That game was not played. That game was fought. I know of people who don't even like baseball who could not turn off that game. That was a battle to the death. When the Twins finally pushed that winning run across home plate I could at least know that the Tigers did not give up. I could see that they tenaciously and ferociously battled back and forth with a team that was their equal in almost all ways. If you have to play an extra game then it should be balanced. If you watch a rookie make a blunder that sets up the tying run, then at least he should do it by trying to end the game on a difficult catch (yes, Raburn- that is you).

In the end, what cost the Tigers this game was the same thing that cost them the division- when they had men on base they could not get them home. Laird left 10 men on base, Inge left 8 and Polanco left 5. If you can't score then the great pitching and defense won't matter.

And I must give credit to Fernando Rodney! He faced 15 men before it was over. Leyland just sent him out there over and over again. I'm not impressed with Leyland there, but I am impressed with Rodney. He may never pitch for Detroit again, but that was an amazing performance.

I will be looking at the season in the days to come and as off season news happens I'll be putting my 2 cents worth in, but for now I will let my throat rest and relish the season that just ended.

Thank you Detroit Tigers for a crazy ride.

No comments: